The best methods to free up hard disk space Below Is a List of 7 Quick Ways to Free Up Hard Drive Space:
- Run Disk Cleanup.
- Uninstall unnecessary apps.
- Run disk analysis and defragment.
- Cleaning of third-party software temporary files.
- Find duplicate files.
- Disable system hibernation and restore.
- Use the sense of storage.
How can I free up space on my Windows 10 hard drive?
A little extra storage is always useful, but we often even struggle to keep it at the optimum level, because it somehow always fills up. In this article, we will show you some tips on how to save and free up disk space on your Windows 10 computer.
Method 1: Run Disk Cleanup To Free up Hard Drive Space.
Sometimes a little hard drive management is enough to capture a few megabytes of storage. All you need to do is clean the disk of unnecessary files, with the built-in Windows tool called Disk Cleanup.
To access it and wipe the disk with it, do the following:
- Go to My Computer, right-click the drive you want to clean, and choose Properties
- Click Disk Cleanup in the Properties window and wait for it to calculate how much space you’ll be able to free up
- Select the types of files you want to delete and click OK (you can delete temporary files, log files, files in the recycle bin, etc.)
- Now that you’ve cleaned up the basic ‘junk’ and freed up space, you can gain even more free space by cleaning up some unnecessary system files. To do this, click Clean System Files and wait until the robot calculates everything
- After deleting unnecessary system files, go to More options and delete the system restore data in System Restore, Shadow Copies (This command deletes all previous system restore points except the most recent)
Method 2: Uninstall Unnecessary Apps to Free up Hard Drive Space.
We all probably have some programs on our computers that we aren’t using. These programs may require a significant amount of disk space, and uninstalling them will certainly provide additional storage space.
To get rid of unused programs and free up hard drive space, go to Programs and Features in the Control Panel, and see which programs or apps you don’t use often or at all. Uninstall unnecessary software and check free space again.
There is a column under Programs and Features that shows the amount of space each program is using, so you can easily calculate how much space you will get once these programs are uninstalled. If you don’t see this column, click the options button in the upper right corner and select the Details view.
Perform Disk Analysis and Defragmentation to Understand Storage Usage
To understand exactly what is using hard drive space, you can scan your hard drive with some of the hard drive scan programs.
Hard drive analyzers scan the hard drive and display all information about it, among other things, what is using the hard drive space. We recommend using WinDirStart as a disk analyzer, but you can also search for other tools online.
After scanning your system with a disk analyzer, it will show you exactly which folders or files are using the most space. Delete unnecessary files or folders and your free disk space will increase (but be careful, do not delete any important system or personal files).
After performing this task, it is recommended that you defragment your hard drive and you can check out our list of the best defrag tools for Windows, in case you haven’t chosen the defrag software yet.
Also, Check Related To This:
- Why & How to Clear Cache on Computer Browser.
- Is antivirus necessary in 2021 For Windows?
- How To Recover Lost Files From External Hard Drive.