Do you know how an online marketing campaign that’s driving the maximum traffic and business to your website?
However, you are using google analytic to analyze various referral sources inside your Google Analytics reports. But it’s not much help to you while you are running a paid campaign that drives maximum traffic for you or also some local sources.
By adding some codes to your URL which is called UTM Parameters, you can get a good understanding of how your visitors interact with your website.
Today we gonna talk about the most popular referral sources for your business or How To Create a Custom Tracking URL(UTM Parameters) For Any Website
What is Custom Tracking URL?
A Custom Tracking URL is a normal website URL with a simple string of code added to the end called UTM parameters; it gives Google Analytics, as well as other marketing software, more context about the source of your website traffic.
How Custom Tracking URL Helpful?
Custom Tracking URL gives Google Analytics, as well as other analytics software, more context information about the source of your website traffic. This tool allows you to easily add campaign parameters to URLs so you can easily track Custom Campaigns that you are running in Google Analytics. Like if you want to know the traffic of your website is comes from where. Here is a small example: When anyone opens a link from the WhatsApp app shared by you, Google Analytics shows this traffic source as “Direct Link”. But you can also track your WhatsApp Traffic by UTM Parameters.
What are UTM Parameters?
UTM parameters (sometimes called UTM codes)UTM Parameters is basically a code that is adding into the URL for tracking the Website Or Campaign Link. And UTM parameters make Google Analytics pick up on the data in the code and log it with the pageview.
How To Use Custom Tracking URL for any Website?
If you want you can create your UTM parameters using a UTM generator, then paste the links into your social media posts.
How To Create a Custom Tracking URL
To Create A Custom Tracking URL Follow the below easy steps.
- Step 1. Go to UTM generator Page as shown below
- Step 2. Enter Your Website URL and also you can enter a specific page of your website.
- Step 3. Enter Campaign Source ( e-mail, telegram, WhatsApp, etc.)
- Use Campaign Source as utm_source to identify a search engine, newsletter name, or other sources. Example: Google, e-mail, telegram, WhatsApp, etc.
- Step 4. Enter Campaign Medium ( banner, video, group share, etc.)
- Use utm_medium to identify a medium such as an email or cost-per-click. Example: CPC
- Step 5. Enter the campaign name that you want, you can add a campaign name like if you are making a special link to track traffic from WhatsApp, so the campaign name to be like “WhatsApp Data” Or “Dash Whatsapp Group” or what’s on your mind about the campaign name. The Campaign name makes a clarification while tracking thousands of links.
- Used for keyword analysis. Use utm_campaign to identify a specific product promotion or strategic campaign. Example: utm_campaign=spring_sale
Above Four are required fields (Campaign Term)
- Step 6. Enter Campaign Term Identify the paid keywords (optional)
- Used for paid search. Use utm_term to note the keywords for this ad. Example: running+shoes
- Step 7. Enter Campaign Content Use to differentiate ads (optional)
- Used for A/B testing and content-targeted ads. Use utm_content to differentiate ads or links that point to the same URL. Examples: logo link or text link
The above two are Optional Field, if you’re new and don’t know about that much, so you can leave empty these two fields if you prefer. When you fill all the required fields, then the Custom Tracking URL will appear automatic in a box highlighted below as shown in the picture:
And here is a picture of a generated URL :
Shorten UTM Custom Tracking URL
It looks very big and bad as you can’t share it on social media, But there is one more good option for you to shortening this big URL from bitly. No need to go every time bitly or any other link shortening site. By Clicking on Convert URL to Short Link. It will redirect you to give authorization of bitly to Google Analytics.
Sign up with your existing google account
Click on Allow and give permission
Now Click on Convert URL to Short Link
Now your Custom tracking link is shortened successfully, And every time you can short your link in a few seconds.
Let’s try your first Custom URL Tracking with these three UTM parameters cases:
- Insert UTM parameters in the URLs you share on your social media profiles
- Test the clicks from your email newsletters
- Track the characteristics of the most effective banner advertisements for your brand
If you’re getting trouble with tracking any campaign, let me know in the comments section below
- How To Get Free Domain Name and Free Hosting For Life.
- Share Blog Post On Facebook Page Automatically.
- 8 Ways To Promote Your Blog Free Cool and Easy Ways In 2020.